Grand Opening of the Truro-Eudunda section of the trail.
28th September 2014,
by Dan van Holst Pellekaan, MP
Member for Stuart.
The opening will be conducted from the Eudunda Centennial Gardens (Colin Thiele Park).
Planning is well underway to have guided walks in the morning. Everyone to arrive back at approx. 12 Noon for a chance to get something to eat and drink at the various stalls and browse the stalls who have come to display lots of information and to have a chat.
At 1pm the official speeches to Open the new section of the trail will begin, with Dan van Holst Pellekaan, MP, Member for Stuart Officially Opening the Trail.
Dan is the Shadow Minister for Recreation & Sport and Racing and is a very strong supporter of Tourism and Fitness. He attended the Official Opening of the Walking Season and Opening of the Truro Section of the Lavender Federation Trail at Truro two years ago and spoke at that event. He is very passionate about this trail, even speaking of it in a speech in Parliament.
After the official speeches there will be more time to talk, relax and investigate the stands contents an talk to the traders.
Opening Coordinator, Peter Herriman said,
“Eudunda is very proud to have the trail finally get to here, the volunteers who have made this all possible are to be congratulated. We would like everyone to have a great day celebrating this latest achievement for the SARTI Board.
“The Eudunda Committee are currently investigating if people might like to go on another group walk in the afternoon.
“If you think you or your organisation would like to have a stand at the Eudunda Opening, please contact us, and as we are having small organizations do much of the work and catering we would really appreciate it if everyone could indicate if they hope to attend. (we will provide ways of doing this soon).
The opening coincides with the 15th Anniversary of the first walk on the Lavender Federation Trail in September 1999 when around 150 walked from Murray Bridge to Monarto. Were you one of those who participated in this walk?
Late Break News!:
- Eudunda Family Heritage Gallery will have a second cold salad selection on offer for everyone at the opening.
- Windy! Unfortunately it will be quite windy for the day if the forecast is right. This is not new to Eudunda as we are well known for the wind. We hope people can still enjoy the day – it will be quite warm – about 28 to 30 degrees max.
- Eudunda Gardens are sheltered – Everyone should be ok for the initial gathering to form up walks and at 1PM when the official speeches are on as the gardens offer quite good shelter from the wind.
- WALKERS & GROUPS PLEASE REGISTER at the Eudunda Gardens prior to leaving
- We have heard that some of the things on the ‘Trading Tables’ will be Olives, Mettwurst, possibly Iris plants
- Eudunda Golf Club invite anyone coming up tomorrow (Sat 27th) to play golf with them – its a fun day as they play the Golf Course Backwards
You can find the Golf Club rooms at the southern end of the Eudunda Oval (it is actually part of the Lavender Federation Trail). Arrive 11am for 12 Noon start.
Early coffee/tea/cakes and drinks will be available from about 8:30 onward, as the Street Party Ladies plan to get there early so you get a special welcome.
These Ladies also plan to expand the offering at Lunch time with salad sandwiches, sushi and fruit salad
- Live Music from ‘Eudunda Rocks’ (Organised by Nathan Bruhn who will also help us with the PA for speeches).
- 3 Walks in the morning
The day will include organized walks to suit all fitness levels.
Walk #1 commencing at 9.30 am of 5.4 km will pass the old aqueduct and local golf course finishing at the Eudunda Town Gardens.
Walk #2 at 10.00 am will go in reverse direction and start in Eudunda Town Gardens, walk through the golf course to the old Aqueduct to Riemann Road, and walkers picked up at Nicholson Rd and returned to the start. Distance 5.4 km.
Walk #3 at 9.30 am– Walkers driven/car pool about 13 km from Eudunda township to Smith Rd, a circular uphill walk through historic Narcoota Water Reserve and back to starting point – a 4 km walk.
This should enable walkers to be back in the Town Gardens by 12 noon in time to buy lunch.
- MAP 4 on Sale – the new one covering the Truro to Eudunda section will be on sale plus as all the previous 3 maps.
Meet the people from Carto Graphics who make the map and are kind enough to bring their stand up to the opening.
- Lots of Food and Drinks planned – 3 Main Food Stalls. The community has really got behind this event by bringing you:-
- Hot Potatoes with Coleslaw/beetroot/sour cream/cheese. $7.00 – by the Eudunda Family Heritage Gallery
- BBQ Sausage & Hamberger Patties Sizzle by the Year 12 Students of the Eudunda Area School (fundraising for their formal).
- Sandwiches, Cakes , Coffee, Tea by the Eudunda Christmas Street Party Committee from early morning right through the day
PLUS salad sandwiches, sushi and fruit salad at midday.
- Softdrinks – not confirmed who will have them – but will be available on the day.
So take the day off (no need to pack your lunch) and support the local community.
- 1 Walk in Afternoon – A short historical town walk around the town will be held during the afternoon if there is sufficient interest.
- More news as it happens.
Please feel free to download, print and spread the word.
Download: Lavender Trail Grand Opening Poster (PDF 310Kb) – best to print
or point people to
where they will be able to download it themselves.
We will keep you informed leading up to the event on this page”
Sunday’s activities are being organized by the “Eudunda Community, Business and Tourism Committee (ECBAT)”.